Here we go.

07 July 2008

Summer is ready when you are.

Happy Birthday, SOLO! What a good little monkey.

Photobucket

Ooof, that was a superb holiday, but I am pretty hungry. That's right, I said hungry. I cooked so much on the 4th, that I really didn't eat proper, you know how it is. And then with camping, you eat a lot of convenient foods that don't require too much prep, you can't really say you ate a meal meal. The big question of the day is, "What's for dinner?" I'm open to suggestion, but two things: 1) No Mexican & 2) If I must cook, let's have an "easy" or "medium" cooking level, I don't really feel like getting into it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I started off my holiday on Thursday afternoon by running over to Mom's to pick blueberries. It was pretty awesome, we donned straw hats, dipped ourselves in insect repellent & chatted while picking berries. Here's a truism: My mother grows the best blueberries.
Photobucket
I returned home and quickly made some blueberry muffins for my pal Glen. After that, me & ATM went to his birthday party, which was v. pleasant. I didn't get very many photos, but I did get one of a child with a beer! (Note: She really wasn't drinking it, she was just looking at the art on it.)
Photobucket
After Glen's party, we hung out with I.K.E. a bit, since he wasn't going to be able to make it to our 4th get-together.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Ghost me:
Photobucket

The next morning, the 4th, I woke up early to start the gettin' ready for the thing we were throwin'. I cooked ALL DAY. I/we made homemade vanilla ice cream, a lot of panko fried chicken nuggets, marinated/pan-fried tofu, vegetable tempura, blueberries (doi) & cantaloupe. By the time we started having folks over, I was ready for bed. But, once things got started, I had a really good time. We had good company, I got to debut the 8-track player, and the food was really good. I was pleased with the herbivore/carnivore variety, it was about 50/50! And all very om nom!
KMHD made a really bitchin' veggie sloppy joe, which we later dubbed "Faux Joe". Keiko's spring rolls were remarkable!

Heather & Zach, Delores & Jennifer
Photobucket
SOLO hiding under the bed from the fireworks:
Photobucket
ATM, Delores & Collin, Suzi & Glen, oohing & awwing over the fireworks display:
Photobucket

After our last guest left, we ate whatever ice cream that remained & passed out. Face down. Well, I did. But, I woke up early again the next morning, cleaned the house inside & out, and prepared for our camping trip w/ Collin & Delores. We went to our good ol' standby, DeGray Lake/Iron Mountain. Oh my good lord, the campground was filled to capacity. In fact, we're pretty damn lucky to even have gotten a space! And our usual site #35, no less! Anyway, people don't camp like we camp. There were RVs everywhere. It was completely disheartening & I was disappointed.
Thankfully, we had really good company to distract us from the hum of t.v. satellites & generators. And bad country music. If I were an authority, I would've written tickets (w/ incredibly large fees) for:

1. Throwing away too much trash. Folks could've easily sorted their recyclables and reduced how much they were throwing out drastically. It's infuriating to see trash bins overflowing and then several bags piled up around it. Honestly, even if it sounds a little fascist, I wish that this sort of thing is a punishable crime. Hit 'em where it hurts, fine those motherfuckers! If you won't do your part to protect the environment, then we'll make you pay, asshole!

2. For dressing in clothes many sizes too small. I really did not need to see that, ma'am/sir.

3. You do not need that much stuff. Really. You are camping, amirite?

4. Seriously, who the fuck is making the bathrooms completely intolerable? It's disgusting in there! How?!!!

That's my short list. Yikes, people, stop being so disgusting!

I regret that my complaints overshadow the actual good time that I had. For the first time ever, I swam in DeGray Lake! It was great, I floated on my raft for a good while. It was so relaxing and refreshing. I am really looking forward to that again! After we packed up everything, we drove over to Hot Springs and had lunch @ Fisherman's Wharf. Om nom! And then we went home. Long, summer weekend over.

Collin & Delores, inflating:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Well, I look like a goob here, but ATM looks cool:
Photobucket

And last, but not least, a duck family, as seen from the deck of Fisherman's Wharf:
Photobucket

Aww.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Solo!

ATM said...

i can vouch for both the much good fun having and the tired having of all these events!

solo birthday update: the day after

she totally hurled on her birthday. party!!!

Blog Archive